CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
INDUSTRIAL POLICY FOR POLICY MAKERS (IPPM) 2022
GREEN AGRICULTURE AND INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT IN AFRICA
5th to 9th SEPTEMBER 2022, PRETORIA, SOUTH AFRICA
The fourth edition of the Industrial Policy for Policy Makers (IPPM) training programme will take place in September 2022, alongside the annual African Programme on Rethinking Development Economics (APORDE). This year’s theme for IPPM is: Green Agriculture and Industrial Development in Africa.
The programme is a partnership between the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), APORDE, the South African Department of Trade, Industry and Competition, the DSI/NRF South African Research Chair in Industrial Development (SARChI-ID), and Trade & Industrial Policy Strategies (TIPS). It is aimed at senior government officials from across Africa and will be held in Pretoria, South Africa, from the 5th to 9th September 2022.
There is no charge to attend the training; however, due to limited places applicants will be accepted through a competitive application process. South African participants, or their institutions, will be required to cover their own transport and accommodation costs. Participants from other countries will have their travel and accommodation costs covered by the programme.
The five-day intensive training course is focused on Industrial Policy and consists of lectures and seminars by leading international and African economists. It is of particular relevance given:
- Africa’s particular vulnerability to adverse impacts of climate change, despite accounting for less than 4% of global greenhouse gas emissions.
- Lagging African agricultural productivity in the context of disruptions to agricultural production and rising food prices.
- Debates around green industrialisation and green industrial policy.
- Discussions about the most appropriate strategies to advance structural transformation and regional integration under the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA).
The 2022 IPPM will cover topics in development economics and green structural transformation in Africa. Several lectures will be held jointly with the APORDE programme. The training will include sessions on:
- Critical Perspectives on Development Economics
- African Economic Development: A Practitioner’s View
- Market, State and Institutions in Economic Development
- Agriculture, the Industrialisation of Freshness and Industrial Policy
Applicants should be senior government officials in African countries working in economic ministries, departments, or other public institutions, or supranational policy institutions in Africa. In particular, we encourage applications from officials working on issues such as industrial policy, trade, agriculture, or climate change/environmental policies. Participants need to be proficient in English.
The following documents should be sent to Rozale@tips.org.za:
- The completed application form.
- Recent curriculum vitae of not more than five pages.
- A letter from your employer confirming your availability to attend for the full duration of the training.
- A motivation to attend (maximum 500 words).
Download the application form
The application call will close on 22 July 2022 at 13:00 (SAST)
Candidates will be notified by e-mail of the outcome of their applications by 29 July 2022.
For queries, please contact: Rozale@tips.org.za